Sunday, May 8, 2011

The importance of nutrition

I know that some women are unable to breastfeed and I'm sure there are plenty of gifted children out there whose mothers couldn't but I have to say that if you can....definitely do.
I have a friend whose nutritional philosophies match my own and her wee daughter is showing very very similar hallmarks.

If you are able to breastfeed - please please watch what you eat. Cut out as many artificial colours, artificial sweeteners, preservatives and msg as you can. And stay the hell away from coke and pepsi.

The reason why I advocate breastfeeding is mainly because of fat, believe it or not. I fed Sophia for as often as she wanted and as long as she wanted. She was fed totally on demand. And because I was always having trouble getting her to sleep, I would feed her till she went to sleep on the boob. This meant that she was always getting the precious high-quality 'hind milk'.

For those that don't know....in human breastfeeding there are two levels of feeding.....the first is quantity to satisfy hunger quickly but the second is rich-high-fat 'hind' milk. That's the stuff that builds synapses or connections in the brain. And once the connections are there, the fat coats them and protects them. Or at least that how it was explained to me.

When they start on solids....(which for Sophia was at 5 and a half months) keep up with the high quality fats....like butter and avocado. Sophia's first foods were also Kumera and pureed fruit.

To make sure she had all she needed while making the transition to solid food, we followed traditional Maori philosophies concerning the length of time to wean. The child stops when they are ready, if the nutritional needs are being met. If she didn't ask for it, I didn't offer after the age of 18 months. Sophia stopped asking for milk just after her second birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment