Tuesday, May 10, 2011

An odd reaction

In an earlier post, I mentioned being frightened of her abilities. This reaction was all my own and I definitely had to try and come to terms with it on the quiet. I have experienced doubt and ridicule while looking for advice on a number of occasions but I was intimidated by Sophia's abilities well before any of that happened. She was a tall poppy and in my family, tall poppies get cut off at the knees. I was almost ashamed because I knew that to stand out was to be a target. I was afraid of being accused of either being a loopy pushy mother or being proven wrong if put to the test, and made to look silly. All over-pleasing, socially-acceptable sillinesses.

And, to be fair to myself,  I was very much afraid for her. Bright kids get bullied - I've experienced it myself since the day I started school (and so had her father). Bright kids get left to fend for themselves. Bright kids have to settle to make room for others because they've got an advantage etc etc etc. Bright kids often get the rough end of the stick in my experience. I wanted better for her. So I put these fears aside and I decided teach her to that she is fortunate to have these abilities and that all she needed to do was to the best that she was able to do. 

And as for the ridicule....the professional types that do that soon can't help themselves and they've gotta test her. Then they understand. I don't need to push the issue. But that's kind of moot now because we've found its easier to just ask them what their thoughts are on gifted children. You find out what you need to know inside of a minute - they can't help themselves then either.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment